St. Mark’s Church (Trg Sv. Marka 5, Zagreb) — this is one of the oldest buildings in Zagreb. It was built in the 13th century; from that first, Romanesque period, only a window in the south wall and the bell-tower foundation are preserved. Gothic arches and the shrine were built in the second half of the 14th century. The church was thoroughly reconstructed in the second half of the 19th century, based on the designs of Viennese architects Friedrich Schmidt and Hermann Bolle. It underwent another reconstruction in the first half of the 20th century. At that time, renowned painter Jozo Kljakovic (1888 – 1969) painted its walls, while the altar was decorated with works of famous sculptor Ivan Mestrovic.