Maksimir Park

Maksimir Park (Maksimirski perivoj bb, 10000 Zagreb) – this park is located in the eastern part of Zagreb. It was open to public in 1794 and was the first public promenade in this part of the Europe. It was named after its founder, the Zagreb bishop Maksimilian Vrhovec (1752 – 1827) who, apart from the archbishop Haulik, took the credit for its arrangement.  The paths were arranged surrounded by meadows and clearings full of decorative flowers and bushes. The park was enriched with monuments and various style buildings. The Swiss house, the Viewpoint, The Doorman hut and the Echo Pavilion have been preserved as well as several park sculptures.  For many visitors, though, the highlight is this park is the zoo.